Friday 18 June 2021

My Altar Ego Creeps Toward Her Book Release

 

Things are moving along toward the launch of my book (as Mael Brigde), A Brigit of Ireland Devotional - Sun Among Stars. (Take note: If I ever write another book, it is going to have a way shorter name!) Using my devotional name, I have done a few online events -- a panel, guest blog posts, some interviews -- and will be having a launch in just over two months (28 August, in between the European and North American releases).

In the meanwhile, the book is now available for pre-order in a number of places, and the e-book will be available closer to the release date.

Almost all of these events have been aimed at people who are already comfortable with the idea of goddesses and saints, mostly members of the larger Neo-Pagan community. At the suggestion of two friends from my speculative fiction and writers communities, I'm going to be doing a couple of online events that are aimed more specifically at family, friends, acquaintances, and colleagues who are more familiar with me from daily life, fandom, and writing.

There will be a little introduction to what I am doing, writing about this Brigit, and who she is, along with a short reading and time for Q & A. Fear not, there is absolutely nothing in the way of proselytising. I just want to thank you for your support over the years, and to let you know about something I have spent much of my life immersed in, but spoken of very little outside of the Neo-Pagan community.

The first event will be hosted by local writer, publisher, and events organiser, Erik D'Souza of Writers in our Midst on 26 June at 1 PM

There will be two ways to view. On Facebook at Writers in our Midst you can watch the show live, which will enable you to communicate with us via the comments column, or you may come along anytime afterward to watch it. (Of course, you can leave comments later, too.) It will also be recorded live via Zoom, with a limited audience of attendees. If you’d like to be a member of the audience, please get in touch and I can send you a Zoom link. If you are in the Zoom audience you can also interact via chat, or make comments (no heckling, you!) and ask questions aloud. In this case you will be part of the recorded event. We do ask that you stay muted and keep your camera on during the presentation.

 The second event is at a more infantile planning stage. Hosted by R. Graeme Cameron, a local speculative fiction fan, reviewer, and publisher of short fiction and poetry, and past VCon chairperson. It will be on 12 July at 6 PM PDT, 11 AM Melbourne time, so perhaps some of you Australian friends and family will be tempted to watch. 

It will be interesting to see how this side of my writing is received by folk who are only familiar with my speculative fiction and goofy plays and Turkey Readings at VCon, and others who don't know the writing side of me at all. I confess to being a little nervous, but I'm glad to take the leap.

See you on the flip side.

No comments: