Wednesday 1 May 2019

Beginning Today






I am moved by what I participated in tonight--the first profession of vows of a new Sister of Saint Joseph of Toronto. Her parents, the nuns who supported her through her two years as a novice, cousins and friends and as many of her community of sisters as could come were all gathered to witness and celebrate her profession. There was so much joy in the room. The joy of the newly professed sister and her community swirled around me till my own eyes were tinged with happy tears.

These days we don't see droves of young women becoming nuns; indeed, we are barely aware that Catholic nuns still exist, as very few wear the habits of yesteryear. Observe the two photos above. The first is from the 1950s, and the second is from the current decade. You could pass a whole busload of nuns and have no idea who they were.

I am visiting here because of my friend and grade four teacher, Sister Cecelia. We've known each other for more than fifty years, from our first meeting in Winnipeg's St. Anne's School--a three room elementary school in the basement of the church--to our days living in Vancouver some years later, to occasional visits in Toronto, to the weeks I spent with her in Haiti, an event which led to my living there for a short while and learning things about myself and the world that I never would have otherwise discovered.

Because I have stayed connected to Sister Cecelia and her community, even though I left the Church myself many years ago, I have had the opportunity to grow in my awareness of the good that they have offered to the world and received from each other. I have had to process the bad news that has been revealed at different times, of abuse and so forth, of course, but in knowing these women and the caring and hard work they bring to their service as health care professionals, teachers, and so much more, I have come to better understand and more deeply cherish them and their vocation. I have been sad at the thought that the days of Catholic women religious might be coming to an end. It isn't enough to work toward the ordination of women in the Catholic church. The sisters are extremely important, too, and have something very different to offer than priests. I know this won't make sense to everyone, especially to people who have been badly hurt by Catholic religious or the institution itself, or to others who have only been exposed to the worst stories. And I know there is still a lot to change. But this is one baby I don't want thrown out with her bathwater.

I am so happy that this woman has had the opportunity to deepen a call that she feels to live in a spiritual community that is also committed to serving people who suffer in many different ways. It isn't for everyone, clearly. But for some of us, having that spiritual dimension and the support of others for whom it has meaning makes the work we do in the world deeper, stronger, more sustainable, and more joyful. I am glad that there is still some space in the world for this type of vocation.

The congregation this new sister has entered is very different in some ways from the one Sister Cecelia entered. It will continue to change over time. I am glad that women like this new nun are here to bring that renewal to their congregation and to our world.

Blessings on your journey, Sister.







Images: Two Sisters of Saint Joseph (1950s); some of today's Sisters of Saint Joseph.

No comments: